Research in 2009 suggested that 7.8 million people live with long term pain in the UK, around 12% of the population.
The effects of long term pain
Chronic pain can impact on sleep, relationships, work, social and leisure activities exercise, driving and independence.
Kirklees IAPT are running a free 7 week course for people experiencing long term pain to look at how we can live well with the condition.
The course uses evidence based CBT techniques to understand our experience of pain.
- It also covers gate control theory, sleep hygiene, pacing, getting more active, problem solving, depression and anxiety, anger, acceptance and mindfulness as well as looking at relapse prevention.
- Course facilitators are qualified Cognitive Behavioural Psychotherapists and Psychological Wellbeing Practitioners.
- All participants will get hand-outs incorporating the key points from each session and techniques to use as well as a free relaxation CD.
The next Living well with Pain courses running at Folly Hall in Huddersfield will be on:
- Wednesday 9th January 17.00-18.30
- Wednesday 20th March 17.00-18.30
The next Living well with Pain courses running at Dewsbury Health Centre will be on:
- Thursday 14th February 10.00-11.30
- Thursday 25th April 10.00-11.30